First-Year Learning Communities
Fall 2018-Spring 2019
Connexions learning communities are integrated courses that provide extra support and high-impact learning for new VIU students.
These are 6-credit courses, either combined from two existing 3-credit courses or created as stand-alone “super-courses”. They provide university credit in common 100-level courses in humanities and social sciences counting towards your degree. Many include an English course equivalency, so they help you fulfill your VIU Degree English Requirement, as well.
Why should you consider Connexions courses?
- You spend the equivalent of two courses with the same classmates-you get to know each other and learn together
- Common readings, assignments and coordinated due dates streamline your workload
- Collaborations, either formal or informal
- Team teaching from the faculty
- “Real-world” assignments on real problems
Such team-taught, 6 credit courses are associated with greater academic success and better transition to the university environment.
|FNAT 102: Exploring Indigenous Communities|
|INTR 101: Digital Media and Literature*|
|INTR 208: Public Speaking and Slide Design||ENGL 208/ARTG 272|
* Fulfills 3 credits of the Degree English Requirement (the same equivalent course cannot apply more than once)
Go To: Advising